Brad has the plans in his head. I have learned to trust this.
Materials check. We already had some left over siding from the house and a bunch of 2x4s generously donated by friends over at the Emma Goldman Co-op. We needed:
- more wood
- a bit that cuts metal for the circular saw
- resin to seal the inside of the box
- deck stain
Build the box.
After drilling drainage holes in the bottom, we painted the inside with resin.
Drill a big hole for a hose.
Add some wood to the top. Don't ask me about mitered corners. Somehow Brad managed to make them despite a complete lack of the necessary tools. This is why you should pay attention in geometry.
Cut the corrugated metal for the sides of the planter. Very loud and sparky.
Attach the corrugated metal to the sides of the planter.
Sand the rough edges of the wood, paint the top and corner pieces.
We attached the corner pieces, which we made using brackets we had lying around. Then we moved the planter to the area we prepared for it and filled it up with a layer of gravel and then lots and lots of Bacto garden mix. Currently in the planter are: okra, green beans, brussel sprouts, eggplant, and tomatoes.
All in all, this was a really fun project, and I'm 100% satisfied with the results. Grow, little veggies!